Wednesday, April 29, 2009

An unexpected side effect of pregnancy

It has been almost 3 years since the last time I was pregnant but there was a 2 year period were I was constantly pregnant. My mom, mother-in-law and grandma did a good job and telling me what to expect without terrifying me about gestating the next generation. There was one thing that no one warned me about and to this day, 3 years later, I find completely bizarre and that is if you are pregnant perfect strangers see it as perfectly acceptable to come up to you and touch your stomach. Why on earth would that be okay? If I was not pregnant and some weirdo came up and planted their hand firmly on my mid-section I would punch them in the face. Why does pregnancy negate personal space? Is it because it sticks out? My nose sticks out further than my pregnant belly ever did but I do not have strangers lining up to give that a good petting. I know that pregnancy is a joyous time that everyone want to share in but please unless you aided in making the baby or making the baby makers please refrain from manhandling the belly. And if you find the stretch mark covered baby house too alluring not to touch at least have the courtesy to ask before you give it a good rub down.

4 comments:

  1. I think you should restate the fact that you are NOT CURRENTLY pregnant. Cause I am not ready for any more kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes. The infamous belly rub. Must have been blocked from my memories. I forgot all about that. People do all kinds of weird things to you when you're pregnant. But it always makes sure that you get a chair, and sometimes it lets you get to the front of the line in the bathrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are all kinds of weirdos out there. Just be thankful that thats all they want to rub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. People always did that to me. Maybe it brings good luck. I can almost equate it to my youngest son who had a buzz hair cut most of his life. People were always rubbing the top of his head! Oh, how he hated that!

    ReplyDelete